[blindlaw] Colored Canes

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Wed Jan 13 14:24:26 UTC 2010

I have a request for information from a colleague. Recently, a Canadian firm has begun marketing canes for blind persons in various colors. Most states have laws specifically recognizing white canes, white canes with red tips or (see Oregon statutes) white canes with chartreuse tips for the deaf blind. Now, by applying the law excluding contributory negligence (e.g. the failure to use a can or dog guide is not considered evidence of negligence on the part of the blind person) the colored canes might be included defacto. Does anyone know whether either U.S. or for that matter, other law has included canes of a solid color other than white?

Thanks, folks. Seeing Michael Freeman on here, I know that I'm not the only non-lawyer on here.

David Hyde, Professional Development Coordinator Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired 1700 W. State Street Janesville WI 53546

608-758-6152 (office)

608-751-0960 (cell)

608-758-6169 (fax)

866-284-1107 ext. 34 (toll free)