[blindlaw] High Volume Criminal Calendars

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 12:04:08 UTC 2010

Hello,

I prosecuted criminal cases for Cook County, the second largest unified
court system in the country, for several years.  On average, I handled
between 50-75 cases a day, ranging from bond hearings to jury or bench  trials.  I
originally started out as a law clerk myself, so I didn't feel I  had the
leverage to be able to ask for a reader.  So instead, I'd spend the
afternoon and evening before the court call looking at the files and creating  notes
in Braille or on my laptop for the next day.  I requested that the  local
police departments email me police reports, and I was then able to read  them
with Jaws; the administrative assistant who pulled backgrounds for
defendants knew that she'd have to spend a few minutes with me in my court room
reading their content to me so I could add that to my notes during the  call.
The nature of high volume litigation is such that the case files  generally
consist of a criminal complaint (which is mostly standard except for  the
crime and the basis for the crime), a police report, a criminal background,
and perhaps pictures if it was a violent crime.  Thus I could generally get
the gist of a case down to a paragraph or so of notes.

Later, I began using the KNFB Reader to give me instant access to
information.  This was fantastic because I could independently read a  supplemental
report or a case that was transferred to me from another courtroom  without
having to find someone to read for me.  And worst case scenario, as  a law
clerk, I had access to a supervising attorney who could read if  necessary.
But when I became the supervising attorney (which happens  pretty much 10
minutes after you're hired permanently in Cook County), I  requested law
clerks for my court call, and they doubled as readers when  necessary.  It worked
pretty well.

Feel free to email me off list if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Ronza

In a message dated 3/24/2010 7:39:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,