[blindlaw] Adorn the unused strap not your cane

Bruce E. Naccari bnaccari at cox.net
Mon Mar 29 19:08:30 UTC 2010

As former Legal Counsel to New Orleans Human Relations Commission, I used to teach classes  on the White Cane  Safety  laws and anti-discrimination laws affecting public accommodations to police recruits and  police officers studying to  be examined for possible promotions. At least here in the Isle d’Orleans, it is hard enough as it is to get peace officers  to understand and enforce and  the public to obey these laws. The long white cane clearly identifies those who are entitled to the  intended safety and  social participation benefits of these laws. In my opinion any alterations or  adornments that  change the white cane itself will only lead to confusion and make compliance and  comprehension and enforcement even less likely in the long run. But: may I suggest, if you don’t’ use the strap, why not use it too individuate or  adorn your cane? Depending on your  taste, you might append  to the cane strap but not the cane itself any number of sorts of things  : bear bells, religious pendants, Native American medicine bags or feathers, a reticule like HRH Elizabeth II’s, ludicrous rearview mirror hanging baubles,  bows, medallions—and this will leave your cane itself an unequivocal and legally-significant  and reflective white. If I were you  though I would not append anything from the strap that  makes annoying  clanking sounds as it hits the cane  during  walking movement or  in places like theatres restaurants,  places of worship, etc. And anything too heavy  on the strap will destroy the usual balance of your cane and make it give less intelligible information to you. I have  used cane straps in this way during New Orleans Carnival celebrations but not at other times; and whatever  bells and decorations I hung from the strap left my long white cane  the clearly white it should be.