[blindlaw] KNFB READER, AnyoneUsingIt?

Sarah Clark goldflash9 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 7 12:48:35 UTC 2010

Hi Roger,
The KNFB Reader is quite effective.  I have the mobile version, and expected
that it would be useful, but its accuracy surprised me.  In my experience,
at least in so far as reading letters and other similar documents which
contain paragraphs of text, it seems to be every bit as accurate as the
regular Kurzweil or Abbyy OCR software.  Soon after I received it, I was
reading something with it and my husband walked into the room, overheard it
reading, and was blown away on how well it had recognized the text.  I've
also used it to read receipts and check cooking directions on packages.
Other than that, I haven't had much extensive use with it, so can't comment
on how it would handle tables and other things that are specially
formmatted.  But if its OCR with letters, etc is any indication, it would
seem that it would handle the specially formatted items as well as Kursweil
does.

Sarah