[blindlaw] update

Beth thebluesisloose at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:27:14 UTC 2011

Hi, guys.  Since I have a good legal perspective on the wedding
fiasco--I don't know if it'll be a fiasco--I've decided to take
some of you all's advice.  I've written a letter to the guys
responsible for their bad cultural attitudes.  I'm not sure if I
should send it to anyone for a good editing.  Basically, I
introduce myself at the beginning, then go into a sort of
justification for writing the leetter, like that I want to marry
their fellow clansman.  Then, I go into the thing about the NFB.
Yes, I do mention the NFB.  Then, I point out that we've fought
and progressed with attitudes about the blind since like the
1800's, whereas they've just NOW gotten schools for the blind in
Somalia, which is like 2004.  Um, you tell me how behind these
people are or what!
Then, I told the guys that if they refuse to change their
attitudes or at least let Deq off the hook with them, then get
out.  Leave.  I thought David and Daniel's advice was good.  I
also wanted to point out that the Muslim standpoint doesn't go
against the blind--Thanks, Maxwell--and though I consulted my
boyfriend, who knows about blind people in Islam who have held
high positions and says they know it too--I decided to try a
different approach.  I mentioned that Somalis haven't quite
embraced the inventions used to improve the lives of blind
people.  I then pointed to Laura Bridgman, though she isn't quite
the best example.  I pointed out when she attended a school for
blind students versus when a Somali notable might have done
anything.  I pointed out that at least wee know what we're doing.
I basically hope that this letter can be sent out, and if you
guys have any ideas for perhaps educating the immigrant
communities here in Denver about blindness, especially the
African Muslims, then please write me privately or on list.
Doesn't matter.  I thought it would be fun to have a sort of
seminar or fieldday made of the whole fiasco so that immigrants
would learn about people with handicaps and would not harbor such
bad attitudes.  Thanks.
Beth