[blindlaw] Notetakers

Dittman, Robert rdittman at stmarytx.edu
Tue Jul 19 13:40:12 UTC 2011

Good morning,

I am a third year law student and a student attorney here in Texas.

I use the IPhone and the RefreshaBraille 18 18 cell Braille display as my "Note Taker".  The advantages include the following:

1. The IPhone is not a blindy product so you have some freedom and choice as to your software and there are loads of them.  Fast Case (a package to look up the law) free by the way, Pages a word processor application ($10.00), a color identifier, OCR, as well as Omoby which is a program that will identify cans of food and other products to you (free by the way) turns your IPhone into a product that will not only serve you in your professional life, but also in your personal independence as well.  Oh, go to www.applevis.com to find the loads of software you can use. You name it, chances are the IPhone can help you with it.

2. The IPhone with the RefreshaBraille 18 is a small package.  For me, having everything in a small package so that there is little to take into class, client meetings, or court is a must.  I can take notes, take phone calls, and research on Westlaw's mobile site using the same bit of equipment.

3. The IPhone upgrades when you do and the cost is much less.  My Pac Mate was about 6,500 with the 40 cell Braille display, and I've heard other Note Takers are about the same.  The IPhone was $299.00 with two year agreement, and $1,700 for the Refreshabraille 18 and when I get a newer model of IPhone my Braille display goes with me.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck, times they are a changen.

Robert

Robert D. Dittman
Student Attorney
St. Mary's University, Center for Legal and Social Justice (Civil Clinic)
2507 N.W. 36th Street
San Antonio, TX  78228-3918
Phone: (210) 431-5760  fax: (210) 431-5700
Email: rdittman at mail.stmarytx.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail