[blindlaw] US Cases Concerning Blind Lawyers

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 15 20:41:03 UTC 2012

Hello Gerard,

Am I correct that what you're looking for is cases that either
demonstrate or challenge our competence to practice law in light of the
limitations imposed by our blindness, previously-obtained law license
not withstanding? I can imagine, for example, that some convict out
there has appealed based on the assertion that his blind defense
attorney was unable to visually evaluate witness credibility, the
contents of documents he did not personally prepare and print, the race
or other characteristics of potential jurors, or even the identity of
persons with whom he believed he was speaking. Several years ago, my
supervisor questioned whether I should file verified complaints since I,
then in a time before optical scanners, couldn't verify anything above
my signature. I convinced her that my reader/secretary, being under my
direction, gave me the power to verify.

When I was a child, bullies with whom I found myself arguing questioned
my ability to prove anything, asserting that I was too stupid even to
know how many fingers they were holding up. (In one case, I was able to
answer "one" after rushing him, grabbing his hands, and bending a finger
back at what I'm sure was an uncomfortable angle.) I consider most
assertions that we don't and can't know what's happening around us
without seeing it about as meritorious, and sometimes as mean spirited,
as the bullies' assertions. I don't believe any reasonable court would
entertain such motions. If there is any currently-binding U.S. case law
supporting the absurdity described above, I would be interested in
knowing about it too. In cases where visual assessment is necessary,
those under our direction or the direction of our common employer can
assist us just as other attorneys rely on paralegals, inspectors, jury
consultants, and all manner of experts to make their cases.

Cordially,
Bill Reif