[blindlaw] Reintro and question

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/OSORA) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Fri Aug 31 15:04:14 UTC 2012

See the below events. Thanks.

Repast and Repartee Series

Meeting The Needs Of Our Service Members
Returning to the Home Front:
Access to Assistance Dogs in Light of Tracey v. Soleski

The Mid-Atlantic Lyceum, a non-profit dedicated to enhancing public discoursed and problem resolution, will host the first in its on-going public engagement strategies: The Repast and Repartees Series.
As part of this series, the Board of the Mid-Atlantic Lyceum cordially invites you to this facilitated colloquia. Distinguished speakers will include -

Clarence "Tiger" Davis
State President, Maryland AARP; former Member, Maryland House of Delegates (1983-2007); former member, U.S. Air Force.
Gary C. Norman, Esq., LLM
Civil Rights Commissioner, Maryland Commission on Civil Rights; 2012 Maryland Bar Foundation Fellow; 2012 American Arbitration Association Fellow

Price: $45
Date/Time: November 15, 2012; arrival from 6 to 6:30 P.M.; dinner and program from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. sharp.
Cost: $45 via check or cash either in advance at 4145 Falls Road, Baltimore, Maryland 21211 or at registration during the event; for additional payment methodologies, please check Lyceum website for updates. Please RSVP.  (Fundraiser in part for the Lyceum's MID-ATLANTIC J. ON L. & PUBLIC POLICY).
Venue: Serafino's Italian Restaurant and Bar, 3419 Plum Tree Drive, Ellicott City, Maryland 21042. (410) 465-7775
Contact Information: Please call Your RSVPs, or call for more information, Gary C. Norman, Esq., LLM at (410) 241-6745, or in the alternative, contact GLNorman15 at hotmail.com.

September 6, 2012
4:00 pm -  5:30 pm

American University Washington College of Law
4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Room 603

4:00 pm  	Introduction by Claudio Grossman, Dean, American University Washington College of Law

4:05 pm 	The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) And The Early Work Of Its Monitoring Body
Professor Ron McCallum, University of Sydney Law School and Chair, United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
The establishment of the United Nations Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (with 15 of its 18 members being persons with disabilities); its role of monitoring the implementation of the CRPD by States Parties; its first constructive dialogues; its role of hearing individual complaints under the Optional Protocol; its constructive dialogues in September 2012.

4:30 pm	War, Disability, International Humanitarian Law and the Disabilities Convention
Professor Mary Crock, Professor of Public Law, University of Sydney Law School
International humanitarian law and situations of war and of emergency; the negotiations for article 11 of the CRPD and situations of emergency; te role of article 11 in developing the jurisprudence of international humanitarian law.

4:50 pm	John Wodatch, former Director of the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division's Section on Disability Rights
	The U.S. role in participating in the drafting sessions of the CRPD.  Prospects for US ratification and its meaning for the US.

5:05 pm	Robert Dinerstein, Professor of Law, Associate Dean for Experiential Education and Director, Disability Rights Law Clinic, American University Washington College of Law
		Comments on the above presentations.

5:10 pm	Questions from the audience and discussion

Moderator:  Robert Dinerstein

General Registration, no charge, but required
To register, please go to www.wcl.american.edu/secle/registration. For further information, contact:  Office of Special Events & Continuing Legal Education, 202.274.4075 or secle at wcl.american.edu.