[blindlaw] ExamSoft Update Revisited

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 30 17:53:47 UTC 2012

Thanks, everyone, for your responses to my email yesterday about ExamSoft.

My bar association has my ADA request, and is exempting me from using
ExamSoft.  They're considering one of two possibilities: either letting me
use my own old, JAWS-equipped laptop with a proctor in a separate testing
room with time-and-a-half, with audio and printed copies of the questions
(in 18-point type), or having me dictate my answers to the proctor, with
time-and-a-half, and with the audio and printed copies of the questions.  My
exam would be administered in a hotel near the standard testing site, and I
could stay at that hotel too, to save myself travel stress for those
ten-hour plus writing days.  Everyone else is camping out in hotels, too.

I'll get the final word from WSBA on Monday.

Dictating the exam might not be a bad thing.  I've always done well on oral
exams, and I've often dictated briefs and essays in the past.  The key,
though, would be the skill and speed of the amanuensis.  And the knowledge
that I'd still need to keep to the character count for each essay.
Preparation, of course, will involve getting down the rules of law so cold
that I won't freeze up and let my throat close while under pressure
dictating to a stranger.

I plan to spend a weekend with a lawyer significant other dictating essays
to him and getting my results critiqued, to get ready.  Will this
relationship survive?  Smiley face.

Has anyone else dictated their bar exam to good effect?

Thanks,

Elizabeth