[blindlaw] Innovative Tool for Accommodations

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/OSORA) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Fri Dec 13 20:54:43 UTC 2013

Greetings:

For any person who cares about a more accessible society, do find two pieces of noteworthy information: the article I published at ACS; and a bill recently signed by a County Executive. I do still believe there are creative ways to apply ADR approaches on access issues. I do hope this information helps. The information is contained at the conclusion of this message. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Gary C. Norman, Esq. L.L.M.

Addendum No. 1

http://www.acslaw.org/acsblog/property-tax-forgiveness-as-a-means-of-promoting-social-inclusion

Addendum No. 2

On December 2, 2013, Montgomery County, MD County Executive Ike Leggett signed into law Bill 5-13, Property Tax Credit - Accessibility Features http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/council/pdf/bill/2013/20131119_5-13A.pdf It will be effective July 1, 2014.

This law will provide financial incentives for the County's voluntary Design for Life Montgomery (DFLM)Program. The DFLM guidelines for visit-ability and live-ability incorporate design features such as a no step entrance (located at the front door, back door, side door, deck or through the garage connected to an accessible route), making it easier and safer to bring in a baby stroller, move in large furniture, accommodate a person living with a temporary or permanent disability, accommodate friends or relative who have mobility limitations and ultimately will help people age in place.

Whether you are a first time home-buyer, active adult, or person living with a temporary or permanent disability, your home will be enhanced by these design features which will meet your needs throughout your life. The goal is to create a more accessible housing stock or those with universal design features to build a more inclusive community. The ultimate outcome would be to make more accessible the entire stock of single family homes in the County.

The bill will provide for a property tax credit for an accessibility feature installed on an existing residence; provide for a property tax credit for meeting a Level I or Level II accessibility standard on a new single family residence; provide for an impact tax credit against the Development Impact Tax for Public School Improvements for meeting a Level I accessibility standard; and generally amend the County law regarding property tax credits. This bill will provide tax credits to builders and homeowners for including Level I visit-ability (up to $3,000) and Level II live-ability (up to $10,000) accessibility features in new and existing residential housing. The impact tax credits for builders will be for new construction in single family attached and detached homes.

This law also requires disclosure by developers and realtors of availability of property tax credits for accessibility before the buyer signs a contract for the purchase of new single family residential real property in the County.

The Commission on People with Disabilities is grateful to the Honorable George Eventual, Council member for introducing Bill 5-13 after having met with the Commission and to County Executive Isiah Leggett and the executive staff for amending the legislation for the tax credits to be allowed in both new construction and renovation. The Montgomery County Commission on People with Disabilities has been involved over the past 10 years in initiating the Design for Life Montgomery workgroup which had developed a voluntary program that is administered by the County's permitting services. This was also supported by the Commission on Aging and the Greater Capital Association of Realtors.

This bill will support the Design for Life Montgomery Program and you can find information about the program at the Montgomery County, MD Department of Health and Human Services Aging and Disability website: Design for Life Montgomery www.montgomerycountymd.gov/designforlifemontgomery<http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/designforlifemontgomery> Like us there on our Facebook page:)