[blindlaw] Accessibility of PACER with Jaws and looking for anyone to talk to with bankruptcy experience

Russ Thomas rthomas at emplmntattorney.com
Mon Sep 2 13:48:54 UTC 2013

Based upon limited exposure to the subject, bankruptcy is a forms-driven
practice. You will need to become familiar with the most commonly used
forms.

Pacer is a challenge but it can be mastered with some practice and patience.
Everything in bankruptcy must be filed on Pacer. I am not familiar with what
the Eastern District requires, but in the Central District you may not file
in the bankruptcy court on Pacer without taking a test.  That prevents
people who don't know how to file from using Pacer in the bankruptcy court.
However, after you become familiar with Pacer, that might be the time to
raise any accommodations issues you might be experiencing.

Another issue with Pacer is the use of PDF.  When you file on Pacer, you
must file a PDF document. Thus, after you create a document, you must
convert it to PDF before you can file it. Similarly, if you download a
document from Pacer you will need to convert it before Jaws can read it. In
my office we wind up with a PDF and word document for each pleading we file
or receive.

If I can be of further help, contact me off list at
rthomas at nbemploymentattorney.com or 949.752.0101.