[blindlaw] Seeking Advice

Russell J. Thomas rthomas at emplmntattorney.com
Fri Aug 15 21:03:52 UTC 2014

Don't disclose anything about blindness before the interview; walk in, and
let the interviewer take you cold. You will be amazed at the reaction --
everything from "how do you dial a telephone" to completely ignoring your
blindness and focusing on your abilities.  Don't be uncomfortable about
questions concerning blindness -- seize those questions as opportunities to
put the interviewer at ease and an opportunity to describe your abilities
and accomplishments. If you get a question about "how would you do xxx"
answer the question and tie your answer into how your abilities would assist
your potential employer achieve its goals and objectives. If possible throw
in some personal experiences unrelated to school or work so that the
interviewer knows you are a human being, not just a blind person.  On one
interview, the night before our meeting, I went to a hockey game by myself.
I worked that into an answer to one of the interviewer's questions; After
the usual "how did you do that" the entire interview became far more
informal and friendly.