[blindlaw] Life Insurance Coverage for the Blind

Stewart, Christopher K chris.stewart at uky.edu
Sat Oct 11 20:29:18 UTC 2014

Hello All,

I'm a law student, and I recently applied for life insurance. I
received a denial of coverage letter stating that I was denied because
of my blindness. Specifically, they said I was denied because of
"sickler's syndrome."

I don't have "sickler's syndrome." I may have "Stickler's Syndrome"
but have never gotten the genetic test. Regardless, Stickler's has no
impact on life expectancy or mental capacity. The misspelling of my
condition lets me know I was very likely denied because I am blind.

I realize that, if blindness is a result of some condition that
significantly decreases life expectancy, a life insurance company may
have a reason to deny coverage. However, in my case, all actuarial
data indicates no impact.

I'm having trouble finding any sort of law or case that holds that a
person can't be denied coverage simply because of blindness. I'd like
to cite legal precedent in my appeals letter, and I'd appreciate any
advice.

Best,
Chris

--
Chris K. Stewart
University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D. Candidate, 2016