[blindlaw] JAWS Scripts as a Remedy for Inaccessible Software Used in the Workplace

Michal Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Sat Jan 24 19:26:13 UTC 2015

Dear List Members,

The accessibility of software used by law firms has lately been a hot topic
on this mailing list.  I know that some of you have obtained JAWS scripts to
enhance the usability of firm management software.  With that in mind, I
would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some information on the
benefits of such scripts and the process of obtaining them.  Here are some
of the specific questions I have:

*         Can every inaccessible application be made accessible through JAWS
scripting, or are there limitations to creating and effectively using JAWS
scripts?

*         When it is possible to script a program for use with JAWS, what is
the actual power of the scripts?  For instance, can scripts make software
that was previously completely unusable by a blind person fully compatible
with JAWS, or do scripts generally offer only limited support?

*         If I ever find out that I need to use inaccessible software for a
job or summer internship, and if it is impossible/impractical to arrange for
alternate ways of performing the task(s) in question, how can I get JAWS
scripts for the software?  Does FreedomScientific provide any assistance?
How long can it take to write such scripts?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

All the Best,

Michal