[blindlaw] printer question

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Tue Nov 10 21:05:21 UTC 2015

Hello Cathryn:

The Image Class that I have from Canon is this model number:

MF8580CDW

It's a fax, printer, copier and scanner all-in-one.  It's tray will hold up
to 250 sheets.  It does duplicate printing--that is, it will print on both
sides of the paper if so desired.  If you are scanning a piece of paper that
has writing on both sides, you can have it scan both sides automatically.
Its automatic document feeder holds up to 35-50 pages.  It can be set to
automatically fax both sides of a paper if necessary.  It appears that the
scanning software it ships with will convert scanned images to OCR
automatically, and a screen reader will be able to read it!  It does require
scripting to make it more accessible so I hardly ever use it.

This printer is reasonably heavy.  I think it's about 25 pounds or a bit
more.  It's not as compact as you'd expect, but that's ok for me.

Yes, the toners do last quite a while.  If this were an inkjet, I'll
probably be on my way to Office Depot right now to buy more ink <smile>!
I've had it since 2014, and there's no sign the ink will dry up anytime
soon.

I can initiate a scan session from my computer; I'm still learning how best
to use this function of the printer so I can't comment sufficiently on it
just yet.

I have this printer on my office's wireless network.  I'm trying hardest to
CUT WIRES and try trading them on Wall Street just to see who'll buy <grin>!

I'd have to look through my notes to remember how much I paid for it; but
you can read all about it on Amazon.com.

There's a monochrome model and that is the MF8380CDW.

I'm not sure if Canon still makes this printer anymore, but I do like
Canon's Tech Support.  In a few days, I'll install Abbyy FineReader
Professional and do more scanning.  Sorry, I won't ever purchase OpenBook or
Kurzweil as there are cheaper alternatives in the open market.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

---