[blindlaw] Best technology for oral arguments?

James Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 13:33:44 UTC 2016

Dear All,
I hope that spring is finding you all well and, for my fellow law
students, not as exhausted as I am at the end of the semester. I would
like to have your thoughts on the best technological solutions for
having notes at hand during oral arguments, either in a moot court or
real court context. I currently use a Braille display, specifically the
Alva BC640, which works reasonably well with Jaws. However, I find it
difficult at times to move quickly to notes pertinent to whatever
element of the argument I need to jump to, especially after responding
to a question that asked about a specific case or citation to the
record. I'm sure some of this is simply a matter of gaining more
experience with doing oral arguments, but I would still appreciate any
tips you all might have about this. I recently heard about Humanware's
BrailleNote Touch, which sounds interesting, but I have steered clear of
proprietary note-takers, since they're not exactly on the cutting edge
or universally compatible with mainstream file formats. Any thoughts on
structuring notes would also be appreciated. Thanks.
All Best,
James