[blindlaw] Trial Advocacy as a Blind Lawyer?

Melissa Allman mrallman116 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:41:09 UTC 2016

One thing I have done in the past is put Braille labels on documents I wanted to introduce as exhibits. However, it was helpful to have a sighted person there assisting because I needed to make sure copies of exhibits handed over by opposing counsel really were exactly what they said they were and so I could quickly confirm with my sighted assistant  about specific pieces of information so I could be absolutely sure before I either objected to it being entered into evidence or stated no objection. This was eviction defense so it wasn't like anybody necessarily had to turn their exhibits over ahead of time which would have been easier. There was no formal discovery n those cases. My assistant usually was a volunteer law or paralegal student doing an internship. Now I'm practicing in a new jurisdiction and haven't had a trial yet. I hope this helps a little.

Sent from my iPad