[blindlaw] Seeking Sighted Assistance for Reading Documents

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 07:43:18 UTC 2017

Thank you, Angie and Nandini. Your suggestions are very helpful.
I recently joined a law firm, so I am still developing coping
strategies to work as effectively and efficiently as my sighted
colleagues. One great resource that you have access to as an employee
of a large Indian law firm is legal interns. I often take their help
in reading documents, getting handwritten documents converted into an
accessible format by getting them typed, formatting documents
correctly, etc.

Like the two of you, I don't feel that, in the larger scheme of
things, my demands or needs are out of the ordinary. A lot of partners
at our firm, and in fact at most firms, still prefer reading documents
in hard copy, so they get them printed. What I ask for is generally
the reverse -- that's the only difference.

While this strategy works great most of the time, since I seek help on
an ad hoc basis, I am sometimes not able to deliver the end product as
expeditiously as I'd like to because interns aren't always immediately
available to help me. This being the case, I was wondering if I should
ask my firm to assign someone to help me with these kinds of things,
so as to transform this from an ad hoc arrangement into something more
permanent.

Further, one related question that I have for you is this: Over a
period of time, have you discovered that there are certain kinds of
tasks that are particularly hard for you to perform as a blind
attorney. If so, have you apprised your firm of this fact, and what
has their response to the same been like?
For instance, I find that I am able to perform tasks that require
greater intellectual ability such as drafting and research more
efficiently than tasks such as preparing a synopsis/list of dates
because I have to seek sighted assistance for obtaining some pieces of
information in case of the latter.
In other words, I have no difficulty converting large 200-300 page
documents into an accessible format and taking all other steps that I
need to in order to perform a meaningful task effectively, but when
the task is of a somewhat clerical nature, I sometimes feel that
converting everything into an accessible format and seeking sighted
assistance is not really a worthwhile exercise because someone with a
functioning pair of eyes can obviously do it much faster.
Does that make sense?

Best,
Rahul