[blindlaw] Guide Dogs at Work and Insurance

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Mon Dec 17 14:08:12 UTC 2018

First, I am not a member of the legal profession, but have written some guide dog legislation. In a lot of states it is stated in statute that the handler is liable for any damage caused by the dog. With such a requirement in law, a certificate saying that you will comply with the law seems . Not being a lawyer, I may be wrong, but I don't think your employer can single guide dog handlers out to certify that they will comply with the law, unless they require that all employees certify that they will comply with all of the laws too. Such a certificate, however, should not hold them harmless for any hazardous conditions, not exempt your guide dog from coverage in their blanket liability policy.	superfluous

David Hyde, Professional Development Coordinator
Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1700 W. State Street
Janesville WI  53546
608-758-6152 (office)
608-758-6169 (fax)