[blindlaw] Update on Jaws and Track Changes

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 22 06:19:04 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I just want to say how great this is to be reading this thread. I am articling right now, and I struggled all through law school with track changes. Not getting consistent results. Eventually I gave up and just started telling colleagues that track changes were not possible, and they would just have to send me documents without them.

Of course, I realize that moving into practice that this is going to negatively impact on my career. If there's a reliable solution, and a good tutorial to go with it I would be jumping for joy.

I have also had the same problem Rahul mentioned with Jaws jumping to the top of a pdf document instead of just going up one line. So either I would have to be very careful to read the document without scrolling up to re-read anything, or convert to word document and accept the fact that I would be reading a document that seemed to concern itself with such obvious OCR anomalies as questioning whether a particular decision is Ultra Wires.

Improving Jaws functionality with respect to PDF's and track changes would be excellent, and I would be very interested in a tutorial that would provide information about how to use track changes with Jaws. I find learning difficult when the results are inconsistent. Sometimes I would need to hold down the control button to get Jaws to read the next change, but sometimes that would make Jaws skip the change entirely.

I feel a little relieved knowing I'm not the only one with this problem, and I would love hearing more about the solution.

All the best,
Ben Fulton