[blindlaw] One Book, One Maryland

Ashley Biggs -LBPH- ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov
Tue Jul 3 15:50:52 UTC 2018

Hi everyone!

Ashley here from the Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped!

We are super excited to be one of the program members of the Maryland
Humanities One Book, One Maryland program. The book chosen is "Bloodsworth"
by Tim Junkin. The book focuses on the story of Mr. Junkin who was
imprisoned for murder but was later exonerated by DNA evidence. By
participating in this program, we need to hold an event based around this
year's theme: "Justice." Justice, here, can be used flexibly.

The library would like to host a teleconference event and has many great
ideas. However, I wanted to shout out to the legal experts I know via
BlindLaw to see if these topics would be of interest and have appeal, and
if they are, what your thoughts would be or if you could point us in a
direction for speakers.

As with any program our library does, we will attempt to hold the program
accessible, either via teleconference or webcast and try to make sure that
all the materials/handouts are made accessible either before or after the
event. We are, of course, open to ideas and thoughts about potential
programs; so please shoot me an email!

Our ideas are:

   - Forensic Science and DNA
   - Social Justice as it relates to the visually impaired community
   - Legal Justice as it relates to the visually impaired community
   - "Know Your Rights"

Best,

Ashley

*Ashley M. Biggs*
*Outreach Librarian*
Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Maryland State Library
415 Park Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21201-3603

410-230-2430 (office) | 667-209-1563 (cell) | 410-333-2095 (fax)
ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov

http://www.lbph.maryland.gov

Click here
<http://www.doit.state.md.us/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?agencycode=MSDE&SurveyID=86M2956>
complete a three-question customer experience survey.