[blindlaw] Looking for technology recommendations

Jim McCarthy jmccarthy at mdtap.org
Tue Jul 24 17:31:22 UTC 2018

Derek,
I was not and am not going to address the technology issue you bring up as I
think others have more day to day experience with the practice of law and
the technology you may want. RJ commented about some of the braille displays
which are pretty costly. Each state has an assistive technology act program
that receives federal dollars. A key item they do is the lending of
technology on a short term basis, about a month. This is a good way to try
before you buy. Many of them also have low interest technology financial
loans, which may not be ideal for someone recently graduated from law
school, on the other hand, the interest rates and availability of the loans
make that a good option if one needs to take a loan rather than get a grant
for the purchase of a braille display. Of course for that purchase, the
state rehabilitation program is also an option.
Jim

James McCarthy J.D.
Executive Director, Maryland  Technology Assistance Program
2301 Argonne DR., Room T-17
Baltimore, MD 21218
P: 1-800-832-4827; 410-554-9245
F: 410-554-9237