[blindlaw] Readings

James T. Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 13:09:17 UTC 2019

I have no objection to the exam/legal writing/how to get good grades
type of advice that has been sent out so far. That is all useful and
important. But there are a few other matters that I wish someone had
informed me about before going to law school.

First, discrimination is alive and well in the legal profession. Your
sighted colleagues will routinely be shocked that you can perform simple
tasks, especially involving formatting. However, do not expect career
services to acknowledge, let alone help you overcome, that
discrimination when you are on the market.

Second, 1L year may scare you a little, but 2L year is far harder and
more of a grind, if you are on journal. And if you are not on journal,
it will be extremely hard to find a job, especially in light of the
aforementioned discrimination. Journal is harder for blind people,
because it is all about making sure that the littlest  formatting things
are correct. And even as people are telling you how much of an
inspiration you are for doing simple tasks, those same people will be
demanding perfection in editing/cite checking literally hundreds of
citations in less than a week when their ability to finish a task is
contingent upon you doing your part. Just do your best and grind through it.

Finally, it is essential, and I do mean essential, to have a
relationship, hobby, faith, some major part of your life that is outside
of law school. Law school will try to teach you that the only two things
that matter in this world are grades and money. They matter, but  other
things matter far more.

I don't mean to scare you. Law school itself is very doable. It's all
the other things:  discrimination, journal, collective anxiety, etc.
that can drive people nuts. Just keep remembering why you're putting
yourself through this, and take it one day at a time.