[blindlaw] Braille (Sanho Steele-Louchart

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:11:18 UTC 2019

Hi Sanho,

You will likely get a lot of different responses to this question. I lost my vision later in life. I didn't start using a screen reader until I was 28. I was not taught braille in school, and I had to mostly self teach myself, because the remote location where I was living did not have good supports. I've never advanced my skills to the point where I could read a long document, and I just use it for labelling. I use JAWS for everything, and it is a solution that works for me. Many will tell you that braille is very useful, especially because it is silent. I wear noise cancelling headphones, and I will put one of the phones off my ear if I need to hear the court while taking notes. If you are comfortable with braille it will likely be an asset, but I wouldn't worry about it if you don't feel comfortable with braille, I think you can be a wonderful attorney without it.

All the best,
Ben

Message: 1