[blindLaw] Screen-readers and Dell Machines

Sanho Steele-Louchart sanho817 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 20:58:53 UTC 2021

Luis and others,

Just changing the subject line so the powers that be don't need to
grumble at us.

No, anti-virus programs don't make a difference, and both of my
laptops have plenty of space when the problem happens. I actually did
a clean install of Windows from a USB this weekend and the problem
disappeared... right up to the point Windows Update reloaded the
various security patches and driver updates it onboards automatically.

Rob mentioned loading on Windows 10 LTSC, the stripped-down operating
system without bloatware, etc. Unfortunately, Windows Enterprise will
only sell LTSC licenses to authorized businesses and only in packages
of 5 product keys. The upshot is that private individuals aren't
usually granted licenses, and when they are, they're about $400.

At this point I'm considering buying something from a different
manufacturer. I'm just afraid of spending many hundreds of dollars
just to have the same problem present itself on another machine.

Sanho