[Blindmath] Mark up languages VS wysiwyg editors: was: Re: Press Release: MathType 6.5 for Windows is available

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Thu Dec 4 12:25:55 UTC 2008

Hello,
Whilst we are on this topic, I have some comments/questions.

One of the most common complaints about LaTeX is that it is hard to
learn. Is this true or is it as Jason said about the Linux command line
(quite some time in the past and I am not quite sure where) only because
we tend to be introduced to Windows and get so much into the Windows GUI
way (he was saying that in cases where people learn the Linux command
line from the beginning it appears to be easier than Windows)? So could
the teaching of LaTeX at an early stage (something in the past I said
possibly not due to the time spent on it if they may not go on to use it
again, I probably now mean even earlier than I was thinking in the past)
would this actually be benefitial?

OK, may be the above is slightly idealistic, we have to work with what
we have and unfortunately people tend to have been pushed on to the
WYSIWYG software, so is there something simpler? This brings me to an
email I recieved sometime ago regarding the RST format
(http://docutils.sf.net/rst.html). Basically the email was talking about
whether it would be possible to create a RST to Braille translator, but
it did briefly mention possibly trying to add extra notation support eg.
Math. Currently at the moment the only way to insert math into RST is to
use raw directives and use either LaTeX or mathml, which leads to a
fairly format specific solution. If a math system could be worked out
for RST then it might be a good system for those used to WYSIWYG editors
to start on mark up languages. Any thoughts on this? How possible might
it be to create a good math system for RST?

Michael Whapples