[Blindmath] R for Stats brief tutorial requested

Matthew_2010 Matthew_2010 at charter.net
Wed Aug 19 23:48:44 UTC 2009

HI all,

I have compiled a file with some posts from this list's archives and I'm
hoping I might get a little more help regarding R for stats. In particular,
I'm reading through the R manual and can't seem to figure out how to do the
most basic of computations. If one of you has just a few minutes to help me
get started I would appreciate it greatly. Please outline how one is to
launch R, configure the terminal mode, then find the standard deviation for
the numbers 4 5 and 6. I want to understand what is being presented by R but
can't do so since I know nothing about the syntax for entering data. If
there is a way of entering a data set and receiving summary stats such as
one can do with Excel I would appreciate this much more since I will be able
to see what R can do. At this point I'm going in circles reading about
everything but what I need to know about basic R data entry. Any help will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew