[Blindmath] Summer University workshop in Vienna

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Thu Dec 17 22:20:39 UTC 2009

Hello listers, I need some advice from all you good people and would
also like to invite you to participate in this workshop.  It will be
held on Monday-Tuesday, July 12-13 in Vienna, Austria.  The workshop is
free, and all participants will be given free registration for the main
ICCHP conference (International Conference on Computers Helping People
with Special Needs), held on July 14-16 at the same venue.
Unfortunately there is presently no major sponsor, so both participants
and presenters must find their own funding for travel and living costs
during the workshop and conference.  We expect between twenty and forty
student participants but thus far we have not set a maximum.

The workshop is aimed at students in high school or university who are
blind and need to learn how best to access math and science.  There are
still a couple of teaching positions that are open too - including a
tutorial presenter on access to Statistics software.  Jonathan Godfrey,
our own expert on that topic, will probably not be able to find funding
for him to come from New Zealand, so I am hoping there may be another
volunteer who can find funding??

The advice I am seeking is your feedback on what needs to be covered.
The format will be tutorials in two hour sessions.  A particularly
hearty student could take as many as eight in two days.  The more
popular ones will be given multiple times.  Topics presently on the
agenda include the following:
 From ViewPlus, tutorials on Accessible Graphics, Audio Graphing
Calculator, and Embossing Math/Science Documents.  From Infty, tutorials
on the Infty Reader math OCR software and ChattyInfty, the accessible
math reader/edditor application.  The Lambda group will present on the
Lambda code for math.  Several other topics are under discussion
including one on latex, but they are not yet confirmed.

I would be very grateful for your advice on what needs to be presented
in this workshop.

John Gardner