[Blindmath] Where can I get a Braille Slide Rule?

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Mon Jul 13 15:35:07 UTC 2009

I have a braille slide rule here at my desk as a curiosity, but I'm not
parting with it.

The American Foundation for the Blind used to produce talking books on
phonograph records.  They had all the equipment for making the master, the
mother, the stamper and the pressed discs in-house.  Until the early 1960s
they were 12 inch discs.  Later they were 10-inch.

AFB created and sold all sorts of aids and appliances in the period up to
the early 80s, and they used their record-pressing expertise to make
braille slide rules.  The first model, which I have, was based on the
12-inch format and is, to me, a superior product.  On one side it has dual
pointers which can be locked together or decoupled.  This side has a
logarithmic scale, so it is used for multiplication and division.  The
other side of the record had a linear scale and a third pointer which was
permanently locked to one on the front side.  The scale on the reverse side
was linear, so you could determine base-10 logarithms of numbers by
rotating the primary pointer to a number on the front side and then read
the answer on the back.

The pointers came out almost to the circumference of the disc, where there
were various combinations of single, double and triple dots to allow you to
interpolate to better than  one percent accuracy.  Numbers for the scales
were embossed an inch inside the circumference, so they were covered by the
pointer.  But since there were only 9 or 10 of these numbers, you could
figure out where you were by what was not covered by the large pointer.

This was one of my primary calculating tools, along with a Cranmer abacus
and some braille math tables, in going through electronics engineering
school from 1966-69 at Iowa State University.

The 10-inch version of the slide rule, necessitated by unavailability of a
12-inch record press on premises, had poorer resolution, especially for
determining logarithms, and probably disappeared from the market around
1975-77 as talking calculators began to be produced.

I don't think you can find this equipment anymore except in a museum or
perhaps on eBay.

At 08:01 AM 7/10/2009, you wrote:
>      Do you know where I can get a Braille Slide Rule?  I used to have a
>circular one.
>
>                Jerry

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.