[Blindmath] accessible math websites

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Mar 15 23:23:23 UTC 2009

It's not good when websites use images for the equations, but some do
include the LaTeX source for the equation as the alt tag text. Are these
websites doing this? If not then contact the page author if possible to
explain the difficulty caused and suggest that they at least include the
LaTeX for the equation in the alt tag, if not actually change to mathml.
There are other reasons than the one you raised why images for equations
is not good, the inability of adjusting the visual appearance for those
who need large print or an alternative colour scheme, the inability for
the equation/maths to be searchable, etc.

Learning to read LaTeX is probably well worth your time. Reading LaTeX I
feel is easier than learning to write it (IE. if you don't know a
particular command used then either you can have a pretty good guess at
what it is from the name and surroundings or you have a specific command
to search for).

Sorry I haven't been too useful on actual websites which are of use, but
I feel LaTeX source for equations isn't too much to ask for, and ideally
you shouldn't be restricted to a few websites.

Michael Whapples