[Blindmath] A Post on Displaying Mathematics on the Web

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 5 01:52:05 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

You did a good job explaining the techniques that make Maths accessible on the blog.
I am still following the discussion, and may chip in later.
Meanwhile, after reading the discussion, I have found out about a few new tools for rendering MathML like jsMaths. I am going to try those out. I am sure that you'll do your own testing too, so please keep us posted.

In India, and probably in other countries as well, many blind students who wish to pursue introductory and intermediate level of courses in Mathematics are unable to do so because of the difficulties in obtaining the necessary material in an accessible format. The web is of course an easy way of finding material of this nature.  LaTeX and HTML with LaTeX alt tags is not necessarily an intuitive way of understanding Maths especially when the student is not a native English speaker.

Regards

"Successful investing is anticipating the anticipations of others."
~ John Maynard Keynes