[Blindmath] Warning about new version of R

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Fri Oct 30 02:02:57 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have some feedback. Ross Ihaka wrote:

"There has been a good deal of traffic in R-help about the problems
you are experiencing. I think a fix will be forthcoming fairly quickly."

So let's wait and see. Meanwhile I continue to use 2.9.2 to do my
work and 2.10.0 for generating all things required for students. Fun and games.

Jonathan

--

Hi again,

Further to my previous message:

The only problem with the new version is the access to the help pages.

The help pages are now stored in an archive and loaded dynamically
when required.

The individual pages are supposedly in html, but opening the page
gives a window with a specific help page title that does not tell me
which application is being used. The PC cursor does nothing. The jaws
cursor can read the text that is on screen which seems to be the same
as in older versions but the pages no longer show up as being
hyper-linked. The longer pages do not fit on one screen so there is
another problem to worry about.

Apparently there is a text based option for help which I am now investigating.

I have also sent a message to one of the original developers - I met
him on Friday as luck would have it.

Watch this space.

Jonathan