[Blindmath] Scanning Math

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Sun Apr 11 15:21:47 UTC 2010

Hi Darlene,
The best option I can think of is InftyReader, found at the following URL:

http://www.sciaccess.net/en/InftyReader/index.html

Have the student install the 15-day free trial and try it out. It will
convert scanned images or pdf files (.tif, .png, and other formats
available) to a number of different formats. The most accessible I've found
to be LaTeX, a means to write math in computer code. However, no familiarity
with LaTeX is required (though learning it at some point may be helpful).
The student can open the LaTeX file in Duxbury, translate it to Braille, and
save it as a .brf file (formatted Braille). From there, it can be read on a
note taking device like the Braille Note or a refreshable Braille display.
It will appear as Nemeth code. Note that writing in Nemeth code in such
files (if the student wished to add their own notes), may not be successful.
I haven't tried that yet. Also, the speech on the Braille Note will not read
the Nemeth properly (nor will JAWS) but if they are content to use the
Braille only then it is a viable solution.

InftyReader, like all software programs, is not 100% perfect, so some review
with a sighted person to clarify any oddities in the .brf file may be
necessary.

There is also a program from the same company called ChattyInfty, which is
meant to produce spoken versions of mathematical documents. I have little
experience with it, but its homepage is here:

http://www.sciaccess.net/en/ChattyInfty/index.html

I hope this helps.

Sarah Jevnikar