[Blindmath] LaTeX to braille

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 16 22:10:29 UTC 2010

You've gotten some good information here but I do think it is essential to
contact the student and find out what he or she has been using in the past.
If the student has gotten into University one would assume that they have
already developed an effective means of learning maths and are proficient in
at least one method. This is not a simple or straightforward question and
there are actually a number of possibilities. Michael is perfectly correct
that the odds are that if the student is from the UK, he or she is more
familiar with the BAUK braille maths than with the extremely different US
Nemeth maths. However there is always the possibility that the student uses
spoken maths rather than braille maths.  And in any case, there is the
separate issue of access to diagrams, graphs, etc.

The visually-impaired students with whom I'm familiar who have attempted to
learn a new methodology simultaneously with starting college have done quite
poorly.  I would almost liken it to going to college in a foreign country
where one does not know the language and attempts to learn the language at
the same time as starting one's studies.

Sincerely,
Susan Jolly