[Blindmath] questions about LaTeX and accessibility for blind people

Birkir Rúnar Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 13:34:10 UTC 2010

I think the only other accessible form of published mathematics would
be Math ML (which can then be read by MathPlayer from Design Science
and other software, such as Lambda for instance).
The only two solutions I am aware of for computer math is math ml and
putting the LaTeX source code for equations as the alt text for
pictures in an html document.
LaTeX has been the handiest solution for blind students, provided they
get the code or can use InftyReader to sscan a pdf file or printed
page and output it as LaTeX, but there is a big shift towards Math ML,
both for math within web pages and Daisy books etc, EBook publishers
are turning to math ml as well.
So, for published documents, you may want to look into LaTeX to Math
ML plug ins and publish them that way for increased accessibility.
Some people are not comfortable publishing the LaTeX source code for
their works and this seems an acceptable solution.
Cheers
-B