[Blindmath] JSMath

Neil Soiffer NeilS at dessci.com
Thu Aug 19 20:01:56 UTC 2010

I was away on a nice long vacation; I'm just getting to this now.  Since the
vacation wiped my memory of what I made have said earlier on this or
MathJax, here's a summary:

1.  MathJax is written by the same person who did jsMath.  Basically,
MathJax is  version 2 of jsMath.

2.  MathJax 1.0 was released a couple of weeks ago, and its getting lots of
attention.  Many places are picking it up, writing modules for it, etc.
Many sites that use jsMath are switching to MathJax. My guess is that all
sites that are "active" will probably switch to MathJax over the course of
the next year or less.

3.  MathJax can be set using the right button context menu to use the native
MathML renderer if it is available.  Choose Settings:Math Renderer:MathML.
This sets (I think) a site wide cookie so that you only need to do this
once/site (not page).

4.  If you do choose the MathML renderer and are using IE+MathPlayer, then
MathPlayer will work with your screenreader, etc.  This is true regardless
of whether the original source is MathML or TeX.

You can try out some examples on the main MathJax page:  mathjax.org.  There
is a page of TeX samples and another of MathML samples if you want to try
out more examples:
http://www.mathjax.org/demos/tex-samples/
http://www.mathjax.org/demos/mathml-samples/

For those that don't like IE, I do hope to get MathPlayer working with other
browsers by the end of the year.  It will take a little time for the screen
readers to then make use of MathPlayer.

In the shameless plug category:  check out my blog post of MathPlayer 3
(later this year) reading some 2D math problems including a long division
problem:
http://accessiblemath.dessci.com/2010/08/accessible-elementary-math-with-mathplayer-and-mathml-3.html

If you have suggestions for improvements, post a comment on the blog.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~