[Blindmath] Questions about accommodations

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 21:32:21 UTC 2010

Well, that is true in general, but at UA where I did my graduate work, there
were a half dozen or so quadroplegic students who indeed had personal
attendants.  Always there is someone who needs what you normally take for
granted no one needs.
One such student was a man who had broken his neck in a diving accident at
age 17. He married at age 23, and indeed he hired a personal attendant.
(He and his wife also had children later on.  I didn't ask for details....)
And also, in between total incapacity and total health, I myself use a
wheelchair and have paid people to shop and clean for me and help out on
occasion.
As for the school picking up the bill, they did not -- the students were
responsible for making those types of arrangements themselves, and most
often it worked out well.
Now back to blindness, I think a blind person should also take care of
learning personal skills and not leave that up to the school.
Off soap box.
--le