[Blindmath] Introduction

Jonathan Godfrey a.j.godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Sun Jun 20 09:33:04 UTC 2010

Hi all,

R is a tongue in cheek dig at the S language developed at Bell which
was commercialized and distributed as S-Plus. R is based heavily on S
and the syntax is at least 99% common between the two. Certainly,
most S routines people wrote in the past are implemented in R with
little hassle. It took me about half a day to convert my entire set
of files from my PhD (SPlus files) into R. Going back the other way
would not be fun though.

R is actually named after the two men who started the programming.
Robert Gentleman and Ross Ihaka were working together at the
University of Auckland here in New Zealand. Most of the development
of R is now controlled by a core development team from all over the
globe, but the greatest two advantages that R has over all other
statistical software is that it is 1. free, and 2. easily expanded to
do anything at all that you want to do.

The best news for our community is that it takes so little to gain as
complete access to it as we can ever expect from statistical
software. The help is accessible, being html based and the  output
files are plain text. Graphs are always going to be a challenge, but
I note that at least someone else in the R community wanted SVG
format enough that it has been developed. I haven't tested it yet as
this is of little immediate use to me.

I still have a large back-log of messages from this list to work
through and I note some are on the topic of R. I've had to prioritise
a fair bit in the last couple of months due to the arrival of our
first baby but if you have had R questions that haven't been
answered, you might be best to direct them to me off list.

Jonathan

At 04:00 p.m. 20/06/2010, you wrote:
>Hi,
>  R is not the company name, but rather a spoof name based on an
> earlier more elaborated stats software package produced by the same
> company, Bell Labs???? called S+. If my memory is mis-serving,
> anyone should feel free to correct my recollection.
>
>  by the way, welcome to the list. I am a graduate student studying
> cognitive psychology at Ohio State.
>Many thanks,
>Christine
>

>Christine M. Szostak
>Graduate Student
>Language Perception Laboratory
>Department of Psychology, Cognitive Area
>The Ohio State University
>Columbus, Ohio
>szostak.1 at osu.edu
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Salisbury, Justin Mark"
><SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu>

_____
Dr A. Jonathan R. Godfrey
Lecturer in Statistics
Institute of Fundamental Sciences
Massey University
Palmerston North

Office: Science Tower B Room 3.15
Phone: +64-6-356 9099 ext 7705
Mobile: +64-29-538-9814
Home Address: 22 Bond St, Palm. Nth.
Home Phone: +64-6-353 2224 (Just think FLEABAG)