[Blindmath] UEB again (was Braille code urgency)

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 19:29:01 UTC 2011

Another thing to keep in mind re unique symbols representing numbers
is that there is considerable complexity in using the number sign "#"
to represent numbers, and requires increased complexity in
translations from print to braille etc, consider for instance the
treatment of 1b vs 12
in other words
#a b vs #ab
That is the obvious one, and then we need to decide how to treat
numbers after a /, super and subscript indicator numbers etc.
Of course this is old news to everyone on here, and I am not claiming
this is undoable or rocket science, but I believe that we need a
system that makes translation from print or computer math to braille
and back as simple as possible, and getting rid of the complexity
associated with these things is a huge value in itself.
On an unrelated subject.
Studies that I read regarding contracted vs uncontracted braille
definitely differe, baesd on the language, but in English I believe
they found space savings generally is only around 10%, hardly ever
over 20, and reading speed increases are between 10 and 18%.
This seems to be the best outcome in the languages that were studied,
as English seems to lend itself fairly well to contractions (lots of
fixed character patterns that can be abbreviated).
Finland and Norway are vehemently against the adoption of a contracted
code (in Norway there have been multiple attempts at creating one, but
now their braille authority advocates the abolishment of contracted
braille).
As someone who did not learn contractions till I was almost 20, but
being a braille reader since age 5, I find them cumbersome to deal
with and distracting, but that probably has more to do with me than
the contractions themselves.
But, again, I believe we could get wildly off topic with that
discussion, even if I find it fascinating.