[Blindmath] UEB again (was Braille code urgency)

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Dec 4 21:24:12 UTC 2011

Hello,
Firstly I will say that the sort of comments which really get me are those like: The use of a number sign makes Braille unworkable for anything but the simplest of maths. I simply cannot buy such an argument and so normally only throw away such views as I have used BAUK for all my Braille and have found it perfectly workable throughout my physics degree (proving to me that the argument must be false). I also will not make any argument against Nemeth Braille or such like as I know little of it and so feel unqualified to argue such a case, however I will defend systems such as BAUK as I know those well and have experience in using them. If people could show me the limitations of it and I am unable to give any reasoning to show that it is a limitation or such like then I would certainly be prepared to look at what else there is, however nobody has yet provided such an example.

Now to some specific points, John's example of a hex number. This is probably where I become an interesting case, when working on the computer I tend to have the Braille display set to American computer Braille (what BrlTTY terms NABCC). I think there are multiple reasons for this, one being that when I am doing things like programming or dealing with LaTeX then source code normally only has ASCII or an extended ASCII set (eg. latin1) characters and so can all be shown in the 8-dot cell of a Braille display. Probably the one big advantage of this is that the one for one mapping of characters means that I will maintain the formatting used by whoever wrote the source code and so things will be aligned correctly. Also things like cursor routing just feels more natural when each cell relates to something where the cursor can be placed. having said all that, I still don't know that the reason I chose to use my computer Braille display like that is to do with it being easier to read/process numbers in that notation than the BAUK style (I don't think BAUK with number signs is harder) with number signs. My justification for such a feeling is that I actually really hate the Braille support of the Mac, because of the way the voiceover cursor works normally you loose the character formatting (eg. you don't have distinct lines when looking at code examples on the internet) and I still have the Mac set to the American Braille code. Processing number signs is probably one of those things that once you get used to it, you do it so automatically you probably never realise you are doing any processing.

As a slight side note, in John's example I have never really fully understood the need for those dot-56 cells as well as the dot-6 capital sign, its hardly like you have capital numbers, there for the capital must mean capital letter. Logically thinking it through, what I said there reduces the size (possibly important for reading speed as there are less cells to read) with no increased complexity.

Michael Whapples