[Blindmath] physics/mathematics problem; have a solution?

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Mon Dec 19 05:30:38 UTC 2011

A quick off the top of my head assessment tells me that there is a missing
term.

The force required to stop the mass is equal to the mass times the negative
acceleration.

The negative acceleration is equal to the change in velocity from impact
velocity to zero velocity in a given amount of time. Since we don't know
the time interval over which the velocity changed, we can't compute the
acceleration. If the time interval was zero (impossible), the required
force would be infinite.

It seems that a work/energy solution might be more appropriate than a
force/mass solution, but even there, we would need to know something about
the behavior of the system at the point of impact.

Dick Baldwin

--
Richard G. Baldwin (Dick Baldwin)
Home of Baldwin's on-line Java Tutorials

Professor of Computer Information Technology
Austin Community College
(512) 223-4758
mailto:Baldwin at DickBaldwin.com
http://www.austincc.edu/baldwin/