[Blindmath] can visually impaired people study math in higher level?

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Fri Jul 29 07:32:33 UTC 2011

Hello Iqbal, it would also be helpful to us to know what resources are
available to your students.  For example, do they have access to computers
with screen readers?  If so, which operating systems and screen reader? Or
do they rely entirely on paper braille?  What kinds of resources are
available to you and to others who must communicate with the blind students.

Our best advice will be heavily dependent on resource limitations in
Bangladesh.  Personally I feel that blind students who do not have access to
a computer are severely handicapped.  Any blind student having access to a
computer and screen reader can do a great deal more both in reading and in
writing materials intended to be read by sighted people.  If the student
must depend on paper braille, then an intermediate transcriber will always
be essential.  But if those intermediaries are available, blind students can
still learn and do math and science.  It has been done before in poor
countries.

John Gardner