[Blindmath] Suggestions or settings for InftyReader use

Alastair Irving alastair.irving at sjc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 18:00:33 UTC 2011

Hi Neal

You get the best results by scanning in black and white with a
resolution of 600 DPI.  A common problem I  found was that if the
scanned page has a black border round it, (resulting from scanning a
bigger area than the actual page), then Infty fails to recognise it,
thinking the whole page is just an image.  I therefore set the scanning
software to scan an area precisely the size of the document I'm
scanning, (as well as asking someone sighted to confirm that my scans
have no border).

The last time I checked Infty couldn't recognise if a page was the wrong
way up.  Therefore I do the actual scanning in Finereader and let it
rotate the images the right way round before giving them to Infty.
Obviously scanning with the document the right way up in the first place
would be easier, but when scanning books this isn't possible if you want
to always have the page in the same corner of the scanner and not have
the opposite page being scanned.

I hope this helps

Alastair