[Blindmath] Accessible display format for matrices

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Tue Nov 15 14:38:57 UTC 2011

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the input on Unicode characters and Jaws.

Also, you wrote "Oh and while I am an old old game coder I would love to
sit in on this class
are you web casting it?"

Sorry, no web casts. However, I may publish the course notes on my cnx.orgsite (
http://cnx.org/content/col11294/latest/) after the course ends and I have
an opportunity to polish them a bit.

Dick Baldwin

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Richard Baldwin <baldwin at dickbaldwin.com>wrote:

> Thanks, I will look into those books, or rather ask my blind student, who
> participates in this list, to look into them and provide an assessment.
>
> The official textbook was chosen before I was assigned to teach the course
> and typically 6 to 8 months are required to get approval for a textbook
> change at the college where I teach. The textbook is Physics for Game
> Developers by David M. Bourge. I imagine my student can get a pdf version,
> or possibly get access to an online version. However, as is typical, it is
> full of pictures and equations that work well for sighted students but
> don't work well for blind students.
>
> Thanks for the input.
> Dick Baldwin
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Richard Baldwin <baldwin at dickbaldwin.com>wrote:
>
>> This approach works pretty well with NVDA as long as there is an
>> announcement immediately before the matrix that a matrix follows. This is
>> needed so the student will know to use the right and left arrow keys to
>> step through the matrix elements. When the down arrow is used to enter the
>> matrix, NVDA simply speaks 398 with no acknowledgement of the bars (or
>> semicolons either);
>>
>> Dick Baldwin
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Ken Perry <kperry at blinksoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I know everyone on here will cringe but in truth this is how I would
>>> want it
>>> but again I like using just a text editor and this way seems to work
>>> great
>>> with jaws for me. This is just a simple page with a 3 by 3 matrix.  It
>>> has
>>> the bars because <pre> elements don't get converted.

>>>  <H1>A Matrix</h1>
>>>  <pre>
>>>  3 | 9 | 8
>>>  4 | 6 | 5
>>>  6 | 4 | 8
>>>      </pre>

>>> matrices. If so, I wonder how a screen reader would treat those