[Blindmath] SPSS accessibility

Tim in 't Veld tim at dvlop.nl
Fri Sep 9 10:16:27 UTC 2011

Hi all,
In a course I am required to use SPSS and it is being claimed in the
SPSS documentation that it was tested with Jaws.
Did anyone ever get this to work and if so, what was your exact
configuration?
I tried SPSS 19 or 16 on 2 Windows 7 x64 and a Windows XP configuration
with Jaws 12. On Windows XP I also tried Jaws 9 but nothing works (no
speech at all). I added the spssPath\jre\bin to the path variable and
copied accessibility.properties from the cd to spssPath\jre\lib as the
documentation described.

I have seen more faillure stories on the internet so SPSS accessibility
looks like a big time-wasting lie rather than a reality so far, very
sad. I know that R works much better so if nobody can explain me what to
do I'll just check with the professor if I can use R in the assignment
although this is likely to make collaboration in the group assignment a
bit more challenging.

Tim