[Blindmath] BANA still considering abolishing the Nemeth braille code

Birkir R. Gunnarsson birkir.gunnarsson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 21:26:26 UTC 2011

Hi

What, more than anything, I take from this discussion is, as others
have pointed out, the need for an international review of existing
math braille codes with a view to adapting a more unified braille code
across the world, one that does not rely specifically on the mechanics
or contraction rules of a particular language, and one that would
facilitate, to the extent possible, automatic software translation,
for use with computers, braille devices (refreshable braille displays,
whatever else may come along in near future, I doubt there is much as
braille hardware has not developed significantly from a reading
perspective for years), and embossing software.
I do not claim that UeB math or Nemeth does not already meet some or
most of these requirements, but I want to see an objective review of a
braille science committee, preferably international in nature, of
existing standards, their strenghts and their weaknesses.
I fully realize I am not suggesting anything remotely simple or easily
doable, but I feel the role of braille in the future of mathematics,
and the access of millions of blind people who want success in the
sciences may depend on how braille for math in combination with
computers develops over the next years and decades.
Wit the current number of systems in use combined with the lack of
braille users in math intensive fields, exchange of accessible
material is very difficult, in most cases expensive manual
transcription is required for most math material, and the most
convenient way to author math is using raw LaTeX for the task (though
I am in the process of studying specific software, such as Chatty
Infty, for the task, they cetainlyhave a novel and neat approach to
authoring math as a blind person). The requirement to use LaTeX for
mat authoring has already pushed countries like Denmark to say "jeez,
there is no braille code out there we can agree on, so why not use
LaTeX and teach people to use it, as well as providing them with raw
LaTeX text for their math needs, people can author math however they
want to using a standard keyboard, we can denote every single math
symbol by combining an 8-dot braille code with LaTeX, and there is a
huge amount of mainstrream software out there for converting between
LaTeX and MathML and creating printed math from text files)). While it
is a good standard in many ways, I find it extremely irritating and
unwieldy to work with, when I work with long expressions, in  the
process of doing actual calculations or transcriptions, so I do not
believe it is the optimal way to do mathematics as a blind person.
But the bottomline is that it is so hard to get accessible math
braille, that it definitely creates significant barriers for those who
want to get into STEM fields. This is particularly true for
non-English speaking countries, with minimal support in braille
translation software such as Duxbry or other software that can take
standard notation such as MathML or, to some extent, LaTeX as its
input and transform it into braille math code used for that particular
language.
In the Netherlands, for instance, I believe only one person has
attempted to study a STEm related subject at the university level
recently (though ths was word of mouth info I got last year, hopefully
thins may have changed since, I was not present at the most recent
math university in CCzech).
As someone from a non-English speaking country, tasked with finding a
solution for our users, students attempting to go through Computer
Science at a university level, this leaves me with a dilemma. I have
learnt Nemeth to a decent degree, nowhere near expert, but with
rsources proposed by people like Susan and others, I feel I am at a
point where I could work with Nemeth transcribed braille math in a
text book. I don't know it well enough to compare it, step by step and
point by point, with UEB math. Still I believe this is absolutely
needed, because each side seems to hold staedfastly to its claims of
superiority, without doing much work to back them up officially
(though unofficially I have gotten quite a bit of info, particularly
about Nemeth).
All this being said. for printed text, math represents a somewhat
universal way to comunicate. Printed math in various countries is
understandable by most readers very easily (there are silly
differences, for instance on the use of . vs , for a decimal marker,
to name but one example).
When it comes to braille, the picture is wildly different and systems
have been created, both partial and complete, and evenwithin countries
that speak the same language, there remain significant differences in
how math is denoted in braille, making it very difficult for software
vendors, whoever they are, to support embossed math thoroughly and
accurately, the market is simply too small and the standards are too
incplete or badly documented.
The reason I am "preaching", or bringing all of those points up, is
that I am attending the General Assembly of the EBU (European Blind
Union), in 3 weeks, and I want to mention this problem at every
opportunity within the meeting, to gain a more international
perspective.
I believe the U.S. can lead the way, at leat English speaking
countries, the technology is here, this list proves there are a lot of
smart people, but I believe the benefits of involving other contries
and trying to at least get the large nations, French, Spanish and
German, to agree on a system that is similar would be the ideal world,
but at least starting with all English speaking countries agreeing on
a superior and unified math code for braille would really be a huge
step forward, especially if said code was specifically geared towards
use on refreshable braille displays and compatibility with eBooks.
When we are at a point where epub3 is, hopefully, going to
revolutionize software access to math in mainstream text books, it
feels like this is a critical time to make things happen.
Cheers
-B