[Blindmath] Making JAWS Accessible with Other Applications

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Sun Sep 25 13:18:24 UTC 2011

Hi Christine, there is plenty of information on the Microsoft web site about
making Windows aps accessible to screen readers.  Incidentally Jaws is not
the only screen reader used today.  It has somewhere between 50 and y60%
market share, but NVDA and Window-Eyes are also gaining market shre in the
US, and Dolphin screen readers have a significant market share in 'europe.
So I prefer to talk about screen reader accessibily, nto Jaws in particular.

Generally, the advice for developers is to use standard
Windows user interface elements and make sure that everything is keyboard
accessible with TAB, arrows, and other cursor keys.  That goes a long way
toward providing accessibility.

John Gardner