[Blindmath] Reading and Writing Math: LEAN versus MathSpeak

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Apr 15 10:31:45 UTC 2012

Having spoken with John on this while developing the code, may be I can
give some ideas as to its benefits.

The first difference I see is that LEAN is a way of representing maths
in files rather than a user interface language, from what I can tell
MathSpeak is very much a user interfacing system specific to a
particular form of communication (IE. speech). This point probably will
become more clear as this message goes on.

LEAN is compact and character based: Many of the existing systems are
very verbose and clunky to navigate through, LEAN is unicode character
based so its much shorter should you need to cursor through it.

An example of this: Take the fraction x/2 in LaTeX written as a proper
fraction it would be \frac{x}{2} a total of 11 characters, in LEAN it
would be only 5 characters (one to start the fraction, the x, one for
change to denominator, the 2 and one for the end fraction). The way
mathplayer presents such equations to screen readers is even more
verbose and clunky.

LEAN builds on unicode: Not really a huge user benefit but LEAN uses
many of the characters which are already defined by unicode (eg. Greek
letters, math operators, etc). This means LEAN only needs to define the
structural stuff unicode doesn't and for that it uses the unicode
private blocks. This means the user can use any unicode aware editor for
LEAN.

Easy to convert to user interfacing formats: One of the ideas was to try
and make the transformation between LEAN and a form the user can easily
understand as simple as possible. The plan is to try and have it build
on existing technologies for the transformation. An example is the
screen reader speech dictionary files John has produced. It should be
possible to make other speech dictionaries for other screen readers and
other languages. Also it should be possible to write Braille tables to
enable translation into Braille. I would imagine with enough work one
could make a liblouis table to produce Nemeth from LEAN but I probably
would go with what John said about 8-dot Braille potentially being a
better option (it probably does need development of a Braille code).

Also fonts can be used to make it look like some fairly standard linear
form of writing maths to a sighted person. How intuitive it will look is
something I cannot fully comment on.

If I were to make any comparison to existing systems, it would be
triangle or LAMBDA, but LEAN is unicode based, using mostly standard
unicode symbols where possible. As far as I know MathSpeak is not really
dealing with the same problem as triangle or LAMBDA.

Michael Whapples