[Blindmath] Results of Using the Perkins

Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:24:45 UTC 2012

Hi,
Hmmm, its quite tricky to explain it, but I'll try my best:
If you do type Nemeth in any braille form (computer braille, to
qracted, etc.), when read by a computer (or any notetaker), it'll
not make sense under some symbols.  So, for example, if you type
a number proceeded by a number sign, the computer will read it as
"number sign" followed by a bunch of numbers instead of reading
the number itself.  So, say if I type:
#7x
when read by a computer, it'll be read as "number sign, 7, x." To
get the computer to read the expression above "as is," you'd
type:
7x
This one will be read as "7 x." Similarly, if you do equals sign,
it'll be dot k when read by a computer.
Now the above scenario assumes that the computer (or a netetaker)
would read the file "as is" without applying any additional
conditions i.e.  just reading a text file that has some Nemeth
symbols and treating these Nemeth code as just ASCII text.  Now
if we put the file through a program that does understand math
symbols either via markers placed within
the text or treating the file as a special document, then we'll
see proper math symbols - and this is the principle behind LaTeX.
And this is the fundamental difference between computer braille
and Nemeth: whereas computer braille assigns one ASCII (or
Unicode) character per one braille cell pattern (hence limited
number of characters, which does include some that appears in
some form under Nemeth), Nemeth emplys two or more cells to
handle more than one possibilities (like numbers versus
punctuations) and to cover a wider set of characters (which
doesn't appear under ASCII set), hence some difficulty with
parsing of Nemeth by regular text word processors unless special
readers are used.  Thus, in conclusion, its the matter of
difference in understanding and parsing one or more braille
patterns by humans versus silicon.
For Jose: the bug you speak of does not really happen anymore on
the Apex, although I do know it caused whatever its in the
clipboard to become capitalized on the mPower.