[Blindmath] To all you blind physics experts

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Fri Feb 10 15:58:36 UTC 2012

Hello Amanda, I am a blind physicist, but I was not blind when I was a
student.  Your experience in lecture is familiar to me, because I have been
to lots of lectures at all levels since becoming blind.  There are things
you might do to be better prepared, but it is clear from your letter that
the major problem is understanding the lecture.

Your professor needs some pointers on how to convey "this rule" and "that
model"  A really good lecturer will say "This rule using the right hand
where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers wrap
around the wire pointing in the direction of the electric field", etc.  This
kind of detailed (invariably repetitive)  lecturing is good for all the
students, not just those who are blind.  You have described lectures by Dick
Baldwin, and it is clear to me that he understand that such detail is
needed.

I am often asked for advice on how to communicate with blind people in
lectures.  My answer is that my advice is how to be an excellent lecturer
for everybody.
* Write everything that is spoken on the board, show in a slide, or
otherwise communicate the essentials of every point made verbally.
* Do not use "this" and "that" as nouns.
* Never say "it", "that thing", etc.  Say the actual name of whatever
object, rule, equation... is being discussed.

There are many more things that could be added to this list, but any
lecturer who religiously follows these three rules will communicate much
better with everybody than he would if he didn't follow the rules.

All this takes slightly more time and certainly more concentration.  And
frankly most lecturer are not very good at communicating fully.  But those
who really want to improve their lectures do not usually object to being
given my little list.  It comes from an experienced professor who happens to
be blind.  And it is intended to be constructive.

I suggest you give my note to your physics professor Ananda.  I doubt that
he will be offended from what you say.  I'm happy to have a private
discussion with him off list too.

John Gardner